Tuesday, December 13, 2011

'Tis the Season


It's right around this time we all decide to give a little more than usual, try a little harder to be nice, remember to send cards to those we haven't bothered to pick up the phone just to chat in months. I do it too. The whole year I get wrapped up in me, my life, my problems... and once again the season comes around I am reminded that this season is much more than the gifts under the tree, the perfect decorations we set up in our home, the gingerbread candle we burn on our coffee tables. It's about Jesus, who was born on this day to live and die for us. It's about giving than receiving.

I wish I was better at applying these things year round - remembering and actively participating in my faith on a constant basis rather than a holiday basis, being nicer throughout the year to those around me whether or not I know them, to giving more than receiving, to not being selfish and remember that I am only human. I am imperfect. I get caught up in "making memories" and building traditions. And while those are magical things, I have to remember it's not everything. Sitting down and reflecting on all my blessings. I have so many. And remembering that not every aspect of my life is going to be perfect. Nor should I want it too. I am seriously blessed. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed with emotion thinking how God has blessed me. How am I so lucky?

We are doing an Adopt a Family at work. The family is going through hard times, hard times I hope I'll never have to endure. They have three small children and the parents want to be able to provide something to their children... I can't say I blame them. So I signed up to purchase a couple gifts for the children. They wrote out what they wanted (toys) and I went to Target to pick them up. I didn't think too much about it that day, just grabbed some stuff off the shelves, threw them in my cart and checked out. A couple days later, I brought them back out to wrap them and I just stared at the presents and almost started crying. I was able to do this for that family. Me. It's not like I am rolling around in the dough, yet I was able to provide those parents a couple gifts for their children to open on Christmas day. That's a blessing. That I was able to do that for that family. Now I am not looking for kudos on doing a nice deed, I am simply stating that at that moment in time I didn't realize how lucky I am to give this season.

I am going to make a conscience effort to do better not just this holiday season but year round because God has blessed me enough to where I can. Tis the season to do better to be better and to give!

1 comment:

  1. I think you do alright...
    Let's face it.. we're all just doing the best we can..
    Love You !!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin