Sunday, June 5, 2011

May Book Review: Writing down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg

book1

Soooo… I may have missed two months of my book a month.  No excuses, but I am back on track for May and read the book “Writing down the Bones” by Natalie Goldberg it’s a great book written in an amazing voice about writing your guts out.  I love writing but I get so caught up in my voice, am I writing with passion? am I writing without worry of critics? I’m not looking to write the next best American novel.  But I am looking to write what's in me… and this books talks to you in such a way that makes you want to write better, truer, more authentic.  Here are a  couple of my favorite quotes from the book.

“… if you want to become a good writer, you need to do 3 things.
Read a lot,
Listen well and deeply,
and write a lot.
And don’t think too much.”

“I feel very rich when i have time to create, and very poor when i get a regular paycheck and not time to work at my real work…”

"Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open."

"This is your life. You are responsible for it. You will not live forever. Don't wait."

"Anything we fully do is an alone journey."

"If you are not afraid of the voices inside you, you will not fear the critics outside you."

"Stress is basically a disconnection from the earth, a forgetting of the breath. Stress is an ignorant state. It believes that everything is an emergency. Nothing is that important. Just lie down."

I enjoyed this book, because it talks to you about writing but also about life, and it was exactly what I needed to hear when I read it.  I recommend it to anyone even if you aren't into writing and want to read something uplifting and inspirational

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin