Friday, January 7, 2011

5 Things you can learn from your pet.


I read this cute artical in a magazine. These stories are not my own, but with having a dog of my own, can easily relate to these little lesson's are pets can teach us.


1. Celebrate EVERYTHING. Each time I walk into my home - even if i've been gone for less than a minute - my dogs leap on me, kiss me, wag and bark, and show me their chewed toys. I find it inspiring: Life throws a lot of junk in your direction, so you might as well get your kicks when you can. Now I try to acknowledge every small-but-happy event with at least a cheerful word of gesture. I believe that if dogs can speak, they'd say "You should have a cupcake for that." That's a worldview I can get behind.


2. Just being present is enough. About a decade ago, I suffered the two greatest losses in my life in a quick succession. My sister died of breast cancer, and my marriage ended. One lonley night when I was experiencing the worst grief, my two cats got on the bed and snuggled up to either side of me. They didnt make a sound; they just stayed there, so close that I actually felt embraced. That was suchg a powerful lesson in what truly gives comfort. I have never know what to say to a friend who has a terrible illness or who has lost a loved one, but my cats taught me that I dont need to say anything at all. What matter is showing up.


3. BRAIN size doesn't matter. My wife and I once had a parrot named Chicken who had a really small brain. And yet Chicken took great pleasure in humanlike activities, such as rearranging the cupboards. She was so clevar - as most pets are. If you observe them, you'll be reminded that even though people are smarter, we're still just animals with the same emotions, like anxiety and joy.


4. Don't try so hard. Cats are quirky, independent thinkers. Some people don't like them for this reason. But I find that quality enormously appealing. I respect each of my cats because they are true to themselves and resisent to outside influences.


5. You can get along with anybody. You know the expression "They fight like cats and sogs"? In my experience, it's not necessarily true. It is quite suprising how animals of different speices (cats, dogs, birds, you name it) can be friends - as long as they are raised in a warm and loving environment. IN my work, I bring home baby birds almost every night. Out dog Spinnaker treats them very gently. Humans would do well to emulate such displays of generosity.




What Mimi (my dog) has taught me:


1.) Patience - Before her, I was only responsible for myself. And with this little spit fire, she has taught me to be more patient with her and myself. She is very much still in her puppy phase and as crazy as she gets at times, I love how silly and sweet shet is.


2.) Forgive quickly - Pets don't hold grudges and they are so quick to forgive. I've disciplined her and told her NO and even lost my cool, but Mimi is so quick to give me a moment and then come up to be a give me a quick kiss on the cheek. As if to say, "Im sorry mom, we cool?"


3.) Napping is amazing - I use to be a master at the art of napping and with Mimi in my life, I have come to appreciate this art form in a whole new level. I cant believe how much she naps and when she wakes up she is so refreshed with her little puppy bed head and is ready for the rest of her day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin