Thursday, January 6, 2011

Frugality

It's kind of like a blessing and a curse. You see, I am very fortunate to be able to afford not only my every day living expenses (mortgage, food, car) as well as other every day perks (cable, Internet etc) but I am also fortunate enough to be able to buy those pair of shoes I knew I needed in my life, or that movie I thought was adorbs. Like I said - fortunate. And it has always been like this for me. I started working at for an actual company at the age of 14 and since then I have always been able to get the things I wanted. However, I have never been the kind of person to be frugal. I would look at my income at the end of the year and wonder, where did all my money go? Sure I had a small chunk of change saved and sure I had a 401k going, but to be 100% honest with you - nothing substantial. Nothing to where, God forbid I lost my job, I would be able to support myself for a couple months till I got back on my feet.

Ever since I got married, and joined accounts and began to pay all the adult stuff - electricity, heating, cooling, water - etc. I am realizing that I need to really buckle down and get my budget in order and start thinking frugal. I'm talking coupons and hunting down deals, and waiting till a birthday or holiday and actual [gasp] ask for it then. It has always been easy for me to run up to the store and get what I wanted - instant gratification, no doubt about it. I need to learn to slow it down for a hot second and not be so quick to purchase what I want when I want. Saving for a rainy day, or a vacation, or eliminating my school loans at a much quicker pace, or paying off any other debt. Let's face it, it's the adult thing to do. I can honestly say, I have never been frugal. Never. And I am sure incorporating my new "Delayed Gratification" policy into my subconscious is really going to piss my ego off. "Those shoes looks amazing on you, you know it and I know - plus you had a rough week. You deserve it" - that's my favorite. I'll be honest, I got a lot of my crazy spending habits out of my system, so I feel that it wont be as hard. The one thing I am worried about is my morning coffee. I think I am addicted to Tim Horton's French Vanilla Cappuccino I cant explain the deliciousness that is this coffee. Those are going to have to go and, oh i don't know, actually use my awesome kick ass Tassimo single cup coffee machine that I so desperately wanted and got but hardly use except the weekend? Sigh.


And the funny thing, its not like anything crazy happened to where I really had to take a good hard look at myself in the mirror and ask - WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! But I have been looking at myself in a new way, a way that is saying to myself.... you can do better at life. You can excel in all facets and you know it - so damn it - DO IT! and you know what? I am.

Here is to being more conscience of my spending, more aware of my saving and save up for a fabulous amazing vacation. Amen.

1 comment:

LinkWithin